Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Why do I flood?

Hull is a city built around water. Most cities in the world are built round water as water is essential for survival and also provides trade, jobs and energy. With this location comes the challenge of managing either too little or too much water. Everyone has a role to play in managing water from the authorities with a function in flood risk who can bid to government and other funders to make a case for flood alleviation- walls, barriers, storage lagoons to each individual resident who can understand what risk they may be at from a flood and what simple easy measures they can do to reduce water getting in their property.

What’s been done about flooding?

There are a number of authorities who have a function to assess flood risk and establish ways to manage. These are the authorities who make up the Living with Water partnership; HCC, ERYC, EA and YWS. It is important to note that no one authority has a legal duty to reduce flood risk. Flooding is an act of nature and whilst there are steps that can be taken to manage the impacts we cannot say that we can totally reduce the risk. The authorities involved assess flood risk and working on what the consequences of flooding are and how you could mitigate by doing a flood scheme. A flood scheme could involve keeping water out by constructing walls and barriers, controlling water by storing water at source or within the catchment or adapting to water by designing homes and infrastructure to be water resilient.

There is a list of current flood schemes here on the LwW website.

Why is home insurance for flood risk so complicated/useless/etc etc?

Each insurance company uses a different way to assess risk. Some use mapping systems, some look how close the property is to a watercourse and some look at historical flood risk. We are working to lobby government and the insurance industry to work with us to make flood insurance more affordable and more easily available. Flood Re is a something that the government have launched to help. If you are struggling please have a look at their website and follow their advice.

Can I get insurance on my home even though it’s been flooded?

Take a look at Flood Re who are supporting homes at flood risk with insurance packages

How do I know if my property is at risk of flooding?

You can check the long term flood risk assessment for locations in England

The service can provide:

  • the probability that a location will flood
  • the possible causes of flooding
  • where to find advice on managing flood risk

Enter a property number or name and its postcode to see long term flood risk information for that area.

Or view a map showing areas at risk of flooding.

This service covers England only.

What is the flood warning service?

The flood warning service can tell you if you're at risk of flooding in England.

You can find out if you’re:

  • at immediate risk of flooding - check current flood warnings and river and sea levels
  • at risk of flooding in the next 5 days
  • in an area that’s likely to flood in the future - check your long term risk of flooding and view your area’s flood maps

How do I sign up to the flood warning service?

Sign up to receive flood warnings in England by phone, email or text message if your home or business is at risk of flooding. The service is free.

How can I prepare for flooding?

You can help better protect yourself from future flooding by planning how you’ll respond to a flood.

Use this link to find templates to a personal flood plan; a community or group flood plan; and a business flood plan.

What responsibilities do residents and businesses have?

If you or your business owns land or property through which a river, stream or watercourse passes you are a riparian owner. Furthermore, where a watercourse forms a boundary with your property it is likely that you, as the adjacent landowner, have riparian responsibilities up to the centre line of the watercourse (unless compelling evidence such as property deeds suggests otherwise). Riparian owners have an important part to play in the East Riding and we encourage our residents, businesses, and landowners to consider the guidance available and ensure they are aware of their responsibilities as riparian owners if applicable. Updated national guidance for the responsibilities as a riparian owner has been published on the government website by the Environment Agency. The guidance includes information on permits or consents you may need if carrying out works on or near a watercourse. By following the guidance, you can not only help to reduce the risk of flooding but also play a part in preventing pollution and protecting wildlife. If you are unsure if you are a riparian owner, check the deeds to the property or contact your landlord. To view the latest guidance on riparian responsibilities visit:


Yorkshire Water

Nevil Muncaster

Director of Asset Management

Lee Pitcher

General Manager - Living With Water

Catherine Johnson

Portfolio Manager

Emma Brown

Portfolio Manager

Lynnsey Pilmer

Communications and Engagement Manager

Martin Armour

Portfolio Manager

Environment Agency

John Dickinson

Flood Resilience Advisor

Neil Longden

Area Flood and Coastal Risk Manager

Hull City Council

Alex Codd

Director of Economic Regeneration

Mark Jones MBE

Head of Economic Development

Rachel Glossop

Flood Risk Planning Manager

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Alan Menzies

Director of Planning and Economic Regeneration

Astrid Paget

Principal Engineer - Flood Risk Strategy

Change text size
Change contrast