Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Protecting your property

Be flood aware logo

Whilst we cannot control flooding, there are measures we can take to help protect our homes.

From handy hints to help reduce surface water, to investing in property flood resilience products (PFR), find out about how you can minimise the impact of flooding on your home.

• Protecting Your Property
How to protect your property
Soak it up

Soak it up

Have more green spaces in your garden and install water butts to stall the flow.

Bin it – don’t block it

Bin it – don’t block it

Flushing wipes and other sanitary products down the toilet can cause blockages, so avoid anything other than pee, poo and paper! You can find out more information on avoiding blockages below.

Use water wisely

Use water wisely

By using water more carefully, you’ll be reducing use and creating more space in our drains – as well as saving yourself a few pennies at the same time.

Flood protection products for your home

Flood protection products for your home

Property flood resilience (PFR) products are used to adapt homes to make them both resistant and resilient to flooding.

Resistance: Tries to keep the water out up to a certain depth.

Resilience: Reduces the damage inside your home if floodwater gets in.

If your property has existing PFR measures, what condition are they in? Would they still work? Do you still have all of the parts?

Examples of PFR are shown below, but you can also find more information at The Blue Pages -

• Property Flood Resilience 01
Types of PFR


Whilst sandbags are useful for diverting water away from your property for a short period of time, they are unlikely to prevent rising flood water entering. Therefore, they shouldn’t be used as a substitute for purpose-made flood protection products.

They can be used to block drains, sinks, doorways and other openings into a property, and also to weigh-down items such as manhole covers and outdoor furniture.

Contact your local council to find out where to get sandbags and stock up in advance. You can also get them from some DIY or building supplies shops.

You can find out more about how to use sandbags effectively here:

Is your property near water?

Is your property near water?

If you own property next to a watercourse, for example a river, culvert, brook or mill stream, you must maintain riverbeds and banks and not obstruct the water flow at any point.

Read guidance on the rights and responsibilities of owning a riverside property

If your property’s next to a canal, contact the Canal & River Trust to check who’s responsible for maintenance:

Contact the Environment Agency if you have questions about your responsibilities.

Environment Agency

Telephone: 03708 506 506 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges


Yorkshire Water

Nevil Muncaster

Director of Asset Management

Lee Pitcher

General Manager - Living With Water

Catherine Johnson

Portfolio Manager

Emma Brown

Portfolio Manager

Lynnsey Pilmer

Communications and Engagement Manager

Martin Armour

Portfolio Manager

Environment Agency

John Dickinson

Flood Resilience Advisor

Neil Longden

Area Flood and Coastal Risk Manager

Hull City Council

Alex Codd

Director of Economic Regeneration

Mark Jones MBE

Head of Economic Development

Rachel Glossop

Flood Risk Planning Manager

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Alan Menzies

Director of Planning and Economic Regeneration

Astrid Paget

Principal Engineer - Flood Risk Strategy

Change text size
Change contrast